New Rivers Press seeks poetry and prose manuscripts of 20–40 pages in length for consideration for our first chapbook contest. We are interested in flash fiction and nonfiction, prose and lyric poetry, literary and speculative works (sci fi, fantasy, horror, etc.) and innovative works that play around and between all those genres. Manuscripts may be comprised of smaller pieces or one larger work. Individual pieces can be previously published, but the manuscript as a whole must be unpublished in its submitted form.
All submissions will be read blind, so please make sure that your name and contact information only appears within the cover letter and not within the manuscript itself. Finalists will be selected by New Rivers Press editors, and the winner(s) will be selected by publishing students enrolled at Minnesota State University Moorhead.
New Rivers Press is dedicated to finding and supporting new and underrepresented voices. We strongly encourage writers of color, LGBTQIA+ authors, writers from all traditionally underrepresented and marginalized communities, and first-time authors to submit. We’re excited to see things we haven’t seen before. Show us what you got!
- $15 submission fee.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify NRP immediately of acceptance elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, provided there is no overlap in content, and each manuscript submitted is accompanied by a $15 fee.
- Please include acknowledgements of individual pieces previously published in magazines, anthologies, or elsewhere.
- All of the material included in your submission must be of your own composition and free from copyright restrictions. Should you be selected for publication, you will be responsible for securing releases.
- Submissions will only be accepted through Submittable. Any submissions sent through the mail will be returned unread, if SASE is included, or recycled, unread.
Authors selected for publication will receive:
- $250 prize and publication
- 25 author copies and an author discount on further copies
Submissions will be accepted June 6, 2022 through August 1, 2022.